Tuesday, June 30, 2015

What I Learned From This Move



I survived my move!  (Barely, but I did.)  I have moved many times - - heck, half a dozen of the moves have been cross-country - - and this may very well have been the most trying move I have ever dealt with. 

In order to get through it, and without being under the influence of alcohol, I told myself the harder the move, the sweeter the life at the new place.  Don't rain on my parade and tell me otherwise, I'd like to live in my fantasy world a little longer, please.

I did discover these interesting facts from my move though:


Take a day or two off from work before your move.  You'll need it.

Do not take a second shift move.  Under any circumstance.  Ever.  It's hotter, your movers are not as fresh as they were first thing in the morning and without a move following yours, they may not hustle the same way to get the job done.

Always make sure your movers take the washers/nuts/bolts they remove from your furniture with them to your new digs.

Not everyone unplugs tvs and DVD players from the wall - - it's a good idea to double check to make sure your movers didn't unplug those items from the base of the unit.  And leave the cords behind, still plugged into the wall.

Having replacement bed slats next to your bed is no guarantee the movers will know what they are for.  In fact, they may assume you simply collect pieces of wood and leave said slats leaning against your living room wall. 

No matter how prepared you think you are, you aren't.

Two days without the internet and cable can feel like a lifetime. 

An extremely attractive man is certain to become a resident at your old complex the day you are moving.  And you will see him while dressed in an old t-shirt, hair pulled back in a ponytail, sweaty and cursing like a drunken sailor.  (Or so I've heard . . . )

It's perfectly acceptable to purchase alcohol at 6:45 a.m. on the day you move.

It's a good idea to pack an overnight bag with spare pairs of underwear and changes of clothes in the event your movers put your boxes, oh, wherever.

You will have more stuff than you thought.

Regardless, you still can't have too many books.

Never underestimate the power of a hot shower or of a garage.

Not being able to cook for a week seems like a nice break but you really do get tired of take out.

My dog has a pretty damn good life (actually I knew this before the move.)  But hey, he did a stellar job following me to make sure I unpacked each box exactly right.

Being two blocks from Trader Joe's has its advantages. 

Three days of going up and down three flights of stairs in 90 degree heat while carrying boxes/books/totes will kick the ass of any gym workout.

Moving is the perfect time to purge items you no longer want, need or use.  You may find yourself giving stuff away just so that you don't have to move it.



How about you?  Any moving tips or horror stories you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment