Friday, June 12, 2015

Why Do I Do This to Myself?

Cryyyyyyiiiiiingg  . . .


I know what will happen.  I know before I make the choice to sit and subject myself to it.  I know that no matter how happy I feel before I start, I'll be in tears by the time I'm done.

Yes, I'm talking about Undercover Boss.  Damn you, Undercover Boss.  You get me every time.  Well, maybe except for that episode with Armando Montelongo because he's a snake oil salesman if ever there was one (and can someone please tell him that Jesus Christ Superstar hair is wrong on so many levels?).  But I digress.

Undercover Boss follows a script, sure.  Somehow they always manage to find employees that have hit particularly hard times and/or have a gut wrenching emotional saga that they willingly share to a stranger in front of a camera.  Hey, it happens. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the show's format is designed to create that Hallmark moment that will make you feel weepy, guilty and grateful all at the same time and then maybe even feel as though you should patronize whatever business is being featured that week.  Excellent marketing strategy, ABC. 



Maybe I should watch The Walking Dead to man up. 

Where are those Kleenex?

No comments:

Post a Comment