Friday, June 5, 2015

The Perks of Being a Writer: You're in My Book!



Any fellow writers out there? 

Being a writer can be a lonely business.  You spend hours by yourself, stressing over what you're putting to the page (or stressing even more if nothing is being put to the page), second guessing everything from your characters' names and motivations to your choice to write in the first place.  You may find that your back aches and your ass spreads (standing desks are awesome) and your eyes get weary from staring at the screen, thinking what you've written is crap or utter genius.  Or somewhere in between.

One of the perks to writing fiction is the creative license.  If I'm writing a character based loosely on myself, for instance, I can cherry pick those qualities that I feel are my best and even shine a golden light on those that are less than stellar.  As an example, while I may be the most impatient person in the world in reality, my fictional heroine is quirkily impatient and it pays off for her - - she may have the winning lottery ticket or meet Mr. Right because she's impatient.  Something that was said to me by someone else may have been meant with contempt or general jerkiness but I can write it to garner laughs.  And whereas the real me may have taken ten minutes to dig up an adequate comeback, if at all, my fictional character is quick and has an acerbic wit. 



I take the qualities I love most in my friends and will often combine them to create characters in my stories.  Have a friend that will drop anything when you need something?  A friend that will organize the trip to the craft store when you think your best option is to make a voodoo doll of your ex?  Someone who won't remind you of the time you thought karaoke was a great idea (right up there with dancing on the bar) after a few cocktails?  Yup, he or she is going to find their way into my book.

This goes for people you don't particularly care for as well.  Piss me off and guess what?  You're likely going to be in my book and I may even kill your character.  Ha!  Not only that but while I may not see or give you a comeuppance in real life, in literary life, it's going to happen.

I love this about writing.  It's like therapy, only cheaper and without Kleenex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment