Sunday, May 3, 2015

Weekend Wrap Up



How is it possible that it's nearly Monday?  Is it just me or does it seem like it's Monday three times a week?  Sigh. 

Besides the normal household chores, which are lacking in both fun and excitement but are necessary, I met a girlfriend for lunch at Outback Steakhouse and then we attended the Pride and Prejudice musical at the La Mirada Playhouse.  This was the first time I've eaten at Outback since I decided to go nearly 100% red meat free.  Interesting eating at a steakhouse when you don't want steak.  Their grilled chicken with veggies is quite tasty.  Beware, though, that "regular iced tea" may translate to super fruity, send-me-into-a-sugar-overload raspberry tea.  Best to give a cautionary sip before a big swig.  Ahem.  And tortilla soup looks nothing like baked potato soup to this writer so I'm still trying to figure out how I got tortilla soup slid in front of me. 

But!  The Pride and Prejudice musical was magical!  Magical, I tell you.  I went in expecting to see the book in musical format but was pleasantly surprised that the play was Jane Austen herself thinking of how to rewrite First Impressions into a more saleable format with the help of Cassandra.  Her characters came to life around her, singing, dancing and exhibiting some very wry humor.  The sarcastic being inside me was in heaven. 

The day was wonderful, leaving me feeling satisfied and brimming with creativity.  Which I immediately destroyed by stopping at Baskin Robbins for a milkshake that was not on my eating plan and made me lethargic. Bygones. 

Not this weekend but on Wednesday night I went on a nice little date with myself.  Yes, with myself.  It was a last minute decision to hit the movie theater and I figured I wouldn't make myself late nor would I have to debate with myself over what I wanted to watch or eat.  There is a marvelous luxury theater close by and I had yet to give it a go and Wednesday was a trying day so a little luxury was in order. 

First impressions?  (Ha, see what I did there?)   Pretty nice to have a bar in your theater lobby, as well as comfy seating areas where people can hang out pre or post movie and converse.  Ticket was costly but hey, that's what I make the big bucks for.  (Insert complete and total sarcasm.)  Seats were roomy, leather and reclined.  Hello!  Tons of space in between rows means that no one can kick the back of my seat during the movie.  Can we please do this on airplanes?

Ordered dinner before the movie started with the handy call button on my armrest so that I would not need to trouble myself with getting up.  Nice.  Hope I don't have to use the restroom.   Skinny fries and ketchup, small caramel popcorn and unsweet tea.  Again, costly but again, . . . well, you know. 

Now THIS is how to watch a movie
Movie (The Age of Adaline) was wonderful and even more so by reclining in comfort.  Didn't care much for Blake Lively beforehand (maybe because she's married to Ryan Reynolds?) but she was perfect here.  Highly recommend seeing it - - at the luxury theater and/or with me.

I found an application on Facebook that will guess your age based on pictures you post.  Thrilled that the first few I tried pegged my age at 40.  Over the moon that the next photo got me at 34.  App clearly brilliant.  Last pic pegged me at 50.  App obviously daft. 

Will be spot cleaning my sofa and reading chair, as well as spots on carpet, where my sleep patrolling dog (he does his best to keep me from slipping up and sleeping in) had a volcanic vomiting situation.  We'll leave it at that.  He's lucky I like him.

Oh yes, and I will be writing today.  Not sure which scene.  Still finding out some wonderful things about my main character - -she's fun. 

Don Draper, you sexy, smoking thing
Mad Men is on tonight.  Who else watches? 

Happy Sunday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment