Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Welcome Aboard!



Welcome to my blog!  (Anyone over forty recognizes the band above.  Guns 'N Roses, baby!  How could you possibly forget Axl Rose and his combo Jim Morrison-The Snake dance moves?  Classic.)

If you're not my mother and don't owe me a favor, I'm hoping you're here because you too are over forty (looking at the big 5-0 looming in the horizon) and maybe forty isn't quite what you thought.  Maybe you're perfectly happy with forty and think I'm crazy.  Maybe you think I'm funny.  Or maybe you stumbled across the page by accident and will decide to stay.

Why did I decide to do this?  I operate a book review site (Psychotic State Book Reviews) and while my reviews have been spotty as of late, I do enjoy writing them.  However, that's the more serious side of me (as serious as I find I can get) and my true, authentic voice belongs to that special genre of smartassery (yes, I just made up a word.)  As most smartass and sarcastic people, I have an opinion on everything.  Because I love to write and really want to write on a daily (or near daily) basis, I found myself debating over what I could do.  I can't read fast enough to write a review every single day.  I hope to be a published author but sometimes my brain is too taxed after being in the office all day (living the dream, people) to sit down and let loose creatively in the way I would like to.  Sharing my opinions, however . . . now that comes easily and naturally no matter how tired I may be.

Okay, so I guess I can be judgmental and critical.  I'm not a mean person but come on.  We all judge.  So let's judge together.  Not to be cruel, of course.  Unless we are talking about Tom Cruise or a Kardashian.  And rest assured, that will come.

So about me, as briefly as possible.  I have been reading my entire life - - I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading.  I have been writing in some form since I was eight.  I was a teen in the 80s (greatest music ever), completely obsessed with Duran Duran and quite possibly may have set up an Aqua Net executive with retirement based on the mile-high hair I was sporting then.  I dreamt of living in California (check!) and making my living as a writer (ummmmm . . . )  I have been divorced twice (definitely not something I dreamt of) and continue to try and find the humor of marrying two people so ill-suited for me.  I wish my breasts were bigger and my hips were smaller.  I love Jane Austen, hate The Time Traveler's Wife and watch far too much Bravo TV for anyone's good.  My current life's motto is that I'm looking for a dare to be great situation (thank you, Lloyd Dobler - - more on him later.)

If you've read this far and are still interested in what I have to say, I commend you.  I hope you will find this blog funny and, at times, insightful and will enjoy spending time with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment